Thursday, October 15, 2009

Finish the Construction


Sorry, I'm not a professional builder, so if I have the wrong names for stuff, I hope you'll forgive me.
July 11



Grandpa Ogilvie helped fasten down the base plates


Gary marking a plate board for drilling


July 16




Gary and Tom shooting nails to attach a door frame


this is the ledger board


the top of the door frame

July 17


installing joist hangers


The doors are hung, the joist hangers installed. Notice how well it lines up with the deck we will eventually extend. If you are wondering about the car hoods being up, refer back to Debbie's and Dennis' blogs about the pack rat problem


 bringing in the joists


cutting off the extra bolt length

July 18


Gary got the joists hung, and now Tom and Ben are here to help with the roof decking


cutting the joists to a uniform length and angle




attaching the rim board


The decking went down quickly. Buffy was here with Ben.

July 22



Next the roofing felt


and the metal roofing


fastening it down. It was a hot sunny day, and this is on the southwest side of the house. You could blister your hand (or knee) if you actually touched the roof

July 31






with the exterior mostly finished (roof trim, etc) . . .


 it's time to apply the epoxy paint to the floor inside

August 03:  framing the walls:










Aug 4:  framing for a roof over the doors



Aug 6 getting power from the garage panel to the new shop






Aug 7 Red letter day for me. New steps! Better than the old ones. Of course these are also tempory until we can finish the deck, but who knows when that will be?





Aug 13 and 14



 Can't put off the insulation any longer.


 lots to put up


 lots of wires to work around, too.


Gary really hates fiberglass.


Aug 22



 ready for the sheet rock.


We hired Kip Rupp to do it. He's fast and good.


And this is why we hired him: 8 ceiling cans and lots of boxs in the walls (Pardon the dust in the air).


Taping, and first layer of mud

Aug 27:  Yay, Dennis is here, just in time to help paint




That's all for today.  Coming up next:  moving in.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that's a flattering picture of me and dad both. Thanks for the update mom. I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's not dust in the air, those are "orbs/ghosts". Kidding. Just read Debbie's latest blog post, had me thinking about it.

    This are so fun to see! I can't wait to see what's next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot. Typo. :-( I MEAN "THESE (referring to the photos) are so fun to see." DANG! I once had Russ spell/grammar check a invitation to a dance I gave him. Makes me a little paranoid about such things. ;-)

    ReplyDelete