3 Days in the Concrete
June 1, continued: After the crew came back, they got right to work.
The guy with the suspenders is the hard-working owner, the hatless guy is the hard-working foreman, and the rest are dang hard workers.
It didn't take them long to set the forms, and suddenly, there was the cement truck. Everyone but the foreman and one helper left at that point.
Watch the phone line, there (that's Tom).
Coming around the second corner
Smoothing with the mag, and removing the wires suspending the horizontal rebar
adding rebar
June 2:
After a nice rainstorm most of the night, the crew showed up bright and early, pulled the footing forms and started on the walls.
Time to dig up the rest of the phone line. It needed a new splice, too (there was a 25-or-so-year-old splice that needed replacing with a newer model)
Have you been wondering what we did with the dirt we removed? Tom ramped up a large pile of it to use for back fill, and the rest went . . . do you remember that gully behind my little parking lot? Well, now we have an upper parking lot, too.
(I hope it's only temporarily a parking lot)
Finished.
And here's the concrete, right on time. The second truck left deep trenches trying to back up the hill. Oh well, it wasn't really a very good lawn, anyway.
The third wall. I just liked this picture of Tom.
Making sure the wall doesn't bow in or out.
June 3: After an even bigger rainstorm that night, they are back to remove their forms
It was a muddy mess inside.
Picking up a stack of forms.
And loading them on the truck
The outside forms had to be heaved up by hand.
"Just let us rest a second." (they had just pulled up about 25 forms one after the other).
They packed up and left.
Wow. 3 days and we have walls.
Gary putting tar on the footings and the joint with the foundation
Tom removing the dirt that spilled into the garage so we can shut the door.
We knocked off the concrete ties and cleaned up the joints a bit while the concrete was still green,
and Tom started the leveling inside.
Now we have to wait while the concrete cures a bit. This blogging takes too long. I don't know when I'll get back to it.
Just kidding.
I'm anxious to get this project finished, too.

Very, very nice. I had no idea what had to be done on that job. I'm really sorry I couldn't be a part of it. My back is not.
ReplyDeleteHi mommy,
ReplyDeleteYay, I'm no longer locked out! Deb had to enable anonymous comments so I could post since I'm a loser without a blog or google account of my own yet. hehe THANKS DEB!
These stories have been fun to read. Thanks for sharing them and keep it up! You know what I think would be fun to read? Post some pictures of our childhoods and your memories about them. Then the rest of us can chime in with our own memories. Who else thinks that would be fun?
By the way Dennis is not your only #1 fan.
Love ya,
Heather
p.s. Tell Tom he's a rock star. Or should I say ROCK star? hehe I know, bad pun, and now I'm going to bed.
ReplyDelete